In 1994, the Business Law Department was set up in the International Center for Economic Reforms and Development of Georgia, which by the end of 1995 has separated from it and registered on 8 February 1996 under the name "Georgia's Business Law Center". This is the very name, under which the Georgian society and international community became aware of it. In 2002, due to rapid expansion of the organization's field of activities and with the purpose of optimizing the management structure, the Board has developed a one-year reorganization plan. Following several reorganizations, since 25 June 2003 the Business Law Center was formed into the "Civil Society Institute" Foundation.
Organization's mission is to promote sustainable positive changes for eradicating inequality, marginalization, and poverty in the country.
- Development of the civil society;
- Formation of enabling environment for the Civil Society Organizations;
- Raising of public awareness and civil activities;
- Introduction of democratic values;
- Rule of law;
- Good governance and formation of sustainable institutions;
- Formation of effective public policy and improvement of administration;
- Development of local self-government;
- Sustainable economic development and overcoming of poverty.